Centre not in favour of giving an extra attempt to UPSC aspirants who missed 2020 exam.
The centre made their statement clear, they are not in favour of granting an extra exam to the civil aspirants who failed to attend the exam last year due to covid pandemic.
On behalf of the department of personnel and training (DoPT), SV Raju, an additional Solicitor General submitted this regard to the supreme court. The bench was headed by KM khawilkar.
The told the bench, which also comprised justices B R Gavai and Krishna Murai that he received an instruction, they are not ready to give one chance. And also added that they will file an affidavit in some time.
The SC asked to file an affidavit and said the next hearing will be on Monday.
Rachna Singh, a civil services aspirant pleas to the court that an extra attempt to UPSC prelims exams for those candidates who missed it on October 2020 due to pandemic.
Government also considered to give extra attempt for those who failed to attend due to pandemic as told by Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to the bench.
On September 2020 last year, the court refused to postpone UPSC preliminary exam and it was held on October 4, because of covid-19 and flood in several parts of country many didn’t attend.
However, central government and the the Union Public Service Commission directed that they will consider in granting an extra attempt for those who didn’t make it to exam due to pandemic, with corresponding extension of upper age limit.
The Department of Personnel and training on October 26 had informed that the extra attempt to those who missed the first exam due to pandemic are under consideration of authorities.
The additional solicitor general (ASG) informed to the bench headed by justice AM Khanwilkar that the government is actively considering the proposal to give one more opportunity to missed students due to COVID-19. This was passed on January 11.